Traumatic Brain Injury Program
The Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Medicaid Waiver offers New Yorkers who have experienced a Traumatic Brain Injury a way to live in the community. The TBI program was developed based on a philosophy that an individual with a TBI has the same right to be in control of his or her life and should be able to choose where and with whome he or she will live, and who will provide needed services.
How does the TBI program work?
There are nine agencies located across NYS that can help anyone interested in the TBI program. ARISE serves as the local TBI Regional Resource Development Center (RRDC) for the Syracuse Region (Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, Oswego, and St. Lawrence counties).
As the RRDC, we can help you get started and assist you in selecting a Service Coordination agency. The Service Coordination agency will then work with you to apply for the TBI program and develop a service plan.
Who is eligible for the TBI program?
To be eligible for the program, you must be:
- Diagnosed with TBI or a related condition
- Eligible for nursing facility level of care
- Enrolled in the Medicaid program
- Between 18 and 64 years of age, and injured after the age of 18
- Choose to live in the community rather than a nursing facility
- Have or find a living arrangement which meets your individual needs
If you have any questions, free free to contact us to learn more.
How can the TBI Program help me?
After you select a Service Coordinator, they will help you design a service plan that maximizes your independence and allows you to remain in the community. Services that could be covered through the waiver include:
- Service Coordination
- Independent Living Skills Training
- Structured Day Programs
- Substance Abuse Programs
- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
- Community Integration Counseling
- Home and Community Support Services
- Environmental Modifications
- Respite Care
- Assistive Technology (special medical equipment and supplies)
- Waiver Transportation
- Community Transitional Services