Respite Program Worker
Location: Oswego County
FLSA Status: Non-exempt, P/T
Reports To: Respite Program Coordinator
The respite worker provides quality services in working one to one with a consumer in the home for up to four hours daily, while affording an opportunity for the primary caregiver(s) to obtain respite from their caregiving responsibilities.
- Ensure safety and supervision of the individual consumer (could be a person under age 18 years, or over 18 years old) at all times during the provision of respite services
- Interact in a professional manner with parents/guardians of respite consumers
- Review consumers’ files regularly to stay informed of their safeguards/allergies/needs
- Meet regularly with supervisor to review best practices, get updated training, etc. to provide quality services
- Complete documentation and statistics as required for Medicaid billing and monthly reporting
- Understand and follow Emergency/Fire Procedure and Universal Precautions
- Report any unsafe situations, accidents, or incident to supervisor immediately
- Maintain professional conduct / detachment from personal involvements with the consumer(s) and / or their family members
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of two years of experience working with individuals/children with developmental disabilities
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact with and lead group activities for individuals/children with developmental disabilities, including children with autism spectrum disorder
- Clearance of appropriate background checks, including OPWDD fingerprinting and NYS Office of Children and Family Services Child Abuse Registry
- Physical demands of the job include being able to:
- stoop, kneel, reach, sit, stand, walk, push, pull, lift, talk and hear; and
- exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects and assist people in and out of wheelchairs; and
- assist with personal care, including transferring and toileting as needed.
- Able to work flexible hours, up to four (4) hours per day; may include late afternoons – evenings and weekends
ARISE, an Equal Opportunity Employer, encourages individuals with disabilities, women, and people of minority and/or veteran status to apply.
Send resume/cover to:Human Resources, ARISE, 635 James Street, Syracuse, NY 13203; or fax to (315) 422-0948; or email resume in MS Word or PDF format to email@example.com; or download and submit our Employment Application using the link below. ARISE is a drug-free workplace. EOE.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information about employment with ARISE. You can also download an Employment Application (PDF – 206 KB ). Adobe Reader is required to read files in PDF format. Click here to download Adobe reader for free.