Adaptive Design Fabricator, Grade 7
Reports to: Adaptive Design Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Schedule: Part time (10 – 15 hours/week)
Job Summary: The Adaptive Design Fabricator engages with families and individuals with disabilities to assist in assessing needs, interests, and passions of end user in order to develop one-of-a-kind pieces of adaptive equipment. The Adaptive Design Fabricator, after on the job training, creates specialized equipment from low-cost, readily available materials including industrial triple-ply cardboard, PVC tubing, and thermoformed plastic. Throughout the building process, fittings and rechecks with the end user are performed and recorded to ensure proper fit and function of each device. The Adaptive Design Fabricator is responsible for taking the device from its concept stage to a fully functional, painted and polyurethane-finished product. The Adaptive Design Fabricator organizes and tracks inventory of all materials, tools, and models in the shop / office. The Adaptive Design Fabricator will assist in demonstrations and educational presentations on the building process of Adaptive Design.
- Work with coordinator and families to construct equipment based on verbal description, previous models, and/or 2D drawings
- Assemble creations upon reading assembly instructions and technical drawings
- Translate 2D instructional drawings into 3D physical models
- Use basic hand tools – utility knife, hammer, screwdriver, socket wrench, allen wrench, etc.
- Operate power tools – jigsaw, band saw, belt sander, screwdriver, tablesaw, etc.
- Apply water-based paints and polyurethane finishers
- Wear compliant Personal Protective equipment (respirator, safety glasses, gloves)
- Utilize guards on power saws
- Work independently to finalize projects after fittings and group builds
- Clean and organize shop; maintain tools and equipment; includes:
- organizing and recording tools, materials, and models in the office/shop
- Keep supervisor apprised of anticipated materials needing to be ordered
- Transport tools, materials and models as needed
- Assist in 3D printing and finishing of printed models
- Assist in training of volunteers, families, and students in the Adaptive Design technique and process
- Uphold the codes of conduct and ethics as well as all ARISE policies and procedures
- Exercise sound judgment as a matter of course, and hold protected health information and other sensitive information in the strictest of confidence in accordance with ARISE and HIPAA policies
- Other duties as assigned
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work with diverse populations
- Proficiency in basic math in order to properly take measurements and perform calculations
- Passion for building, constructing, and creative problem solving
- Excellent organizational skills
- Familiarity with and experience using basic hand tools – utility knife, hammer, screwdriver, socket wrench, Allen wrench, etc.
- Experience using power tools – jigsaw, band saw, belt sander, screwdriver, table saw, etc.
- Proficient computer skills – Windows and/or Apple, Microsoft Excel, and/or Google Sheets
- Able to understand assembly instructions and technical drawings in order to translate 2D instructional drawings into 3D physical models
- Self-motivated and success driven
- Ability to take instructions, advice, and constructive criticism as a method toward continuous improvement
- Physical demands of the job include being able to:
- stoop, kneel, reach, push, pull, sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, listen and communicate appropriately
- exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects
- Clean driver license and reliable transportation
Applicants who meet above qualifications and have the following skills are preferred:
- Familiarity and experience in with Adobe computer programs – illustrator, photoshop, indesign
- Familiarity and experience with any CAD software – SolidWorks, AutoCad, Onshape, Sketchup, Fusion 360, etc.
- Working knowledge of / experience with 3D printing